Services and Facilities
Borrow, Renew, or Recall a Book
How can I search resources in the library?
- Use the One Search tool in the Library homepage in any of the computers available.
- Type your search keywords. Use the advanced search option if you require additional field.
- Select what type of material you are searching for e.g. specific databases for journal articles, BUiD Library for print books, and e-books or you can search across all resources.
- Check the availability of the material. Click the title to view the item description and click any of the source to direct you to the database.
- For print books, check the status of the item, the location area and note down their call number then go to the shelves according to the call number.
How can I borrow?
- Always present your University ID card when borrowing materials in the Library
- Number of items to borrow is defined according to client type as shown on the borrowing information
How can I renew my books?
- You can renew your books online by logging in to your Library account
- Enter your University ID number and your password.
- Once login, tick the item to be renewed. A confirmation will be prompted that your renewal has been successful
- If you are experiencing problems logging in to your library account or renewing items online, you can phone/ email the Library to assist you
How can I recall a book that is checked out?
- When you find items that is checked out, use the request button to begin the recall process
- You will be asked for your patron number which is your University ID number
- Tick request to any of this item, then click submit
- You will be receiving an automated generated email to collect the item within three (3) days, once the requested item is available
- If you failed to collect the item, it will automatically be available on the next requestor in queue
How can I reserve a book?
- When you find items that is NOT available, use the request button to begin the reservation process
- You will be asked for your patron number which is your University ID number
- You will be receiving an automated generated email about your reservation
- Reserved items will be on hold if another user attempts to borrow
For complete Library Borrowing Policy Document, click here [PDF]
Copy, Print, and Scan
The Library is implementing a print management system. For new intake, registered students will have free printing credited to their account. Additional credit can be purchased from the Library counter.
|Black & White||A4 size||25 fils per page|
|Colour||A4 size||50 fils per page|
Scanning facilities is provided for student use located on the print release station.
Photocopying and Copyright
A self–photocopy service using a coin operated machine is available at 25 fils per page.
The University abides to copyright laws, that the proportion of a work that can be photocopied or scanned is restricted to whichever is the greater of:
- 5% or one chapter from a book
- Up to 10% of a short book of up to 200 pages (Library Association guidelines)
- 5% or one article from a journal issue
- 5% or one paper from a set of conference proceedings
- 5% or one case from a report of judicial proceedings
- 5% of an anthology of short stories or poems or one short story or poem of not more than 10 pages.
If you are photocopying, the number of copies made of any one extract should not exceed the number needed to ensure that each student enrolled on a course of study (together with the course tutor) is supplied with one copy.
Permission should always be obtained from the copyright holder before making multiple photocopies of material, or which exceeds the limits shown above.
Computers & Laptops
The Library is equipped with internet-connected computers. Use your Blackboard login details to access these computers. If you are unable to login, visit the IT Office to assist you.
Available throughout the University premises. Visit the IT Office to connect your device and use wireless services.
Interlibrary / Document Request
This service is for BUiD registered users requesting for items that are NOT available in BUiD Library. Please check the availability of the library resources through the main catalogue before you proceed with your request.
Fill-in the online form below with the required details and click Submit. By clicking the submit button, you hereby agree on the declaration statement.
There is a non-refundable administration charge of fifteen dirhams (15 Dhs) for each request if your item is not available within the University links which will be automatically credited to your Library account.
Click here to place a request.
For further information, click here [PDF]
Reserve a Study Room
The study rooms located in the Learning Centre is available for BUiD registered students for group study, tutoring or group projects. Book online to reserve a room.
- Restricted to BUiD students only. Room is limited to a maximum of 4 persons.
- Reservation is up to a maximum of 3 hours.
- Reservation may be made up to 5 days in advance.
- 1 reservation per user per day.
- Room 1 is equipped with a projector and a computer. Priority will be given to those who wish to use the equipment.
- First come, first serve basis when the room is not reserve.
- Inform library staff when cancelling reservation within 24 hours.
- Students without reservation can use the room provided it is not reserve.
- Students are responsible for their personal belongings. Do not leave your things unattended. The University will not be liable for any losses or damage.
- Students that are late with their reservation will not be allowed to extend their reservation.
- Always keep the room clean and tidy.
- Food is not allowed inside the room. Use the Student Area.
- Library staff reserves the right to vacate the room for inappropriate behavior.
- Library materials left unattended will be returned to the Library.
Click here to reserve a study room.
It is difficult to find printing press in UAE, for one or two copies only. Library has arranged for one printing press to do all the binding for University students with standard format. Please ask the Library staff.
Staff and students registered on the University network can access electronic resources off-campus with their BUiD username and password (similar with Blackboard).
When accessing e-books and databases off-campus, students, faculty and staff are prompted to enter their Blackboard username and password via the library proxy server.
If you have problems using your account, please contact IT help desk by telephone 04 433 2687 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org
My Library Account
Access to your Library account is different from Blackboard.
When renewing books or reserving an item online, registered users are prompted to enter their library username (University ID number) and password that was sent via email. If you are unsure of your library password, click 'reset my password' link or contact the Circulation Desk at email@example.com.
- An academic staff member can borrow a maximum of 15 items for a loan period of 28 days which is renewable if no other user has reserves for it.
- Reference materials, Course Reserves and Serials may be borrowed after consultation with a Librarian.
- Books on loan are subject to recall if another user has requested for them.
Library sessions are held at the beginning of each semester. Apart from this, if you would like to conduct training for your students in the use of any databases, please contact the University Librarian and will be arranged accordingly.
Academic staff may place or assign course materials on reserve for their students. Course Reserves are useful especially when many students need to access an item that is rare, difficult to obtain, has only a few copies available, or is expensive to purchase. Materials may consists of library resources or personal copies of the professor/instructor, and can include books, multimedia, journal articles, book chapters, conference proceedings, and so on.
To request an item for course reserves, please contact your Faculty Liaison.
Recommend an item to your library
University Library is subscribed to Nielsen BookData online. You can access this database online to view new releases and availability of sources in the market. To access this, please contact the University Librarian.
The Librarian will establish a list of texts that will be used for every academic year based on the module descriptors held by the Office of Quality. Copies of the list will be circulated among the module tutors for confirmation prior to submitting the list to the members of Library and Learning Resources Forum for approval.
The Texts recommended by the module coordinator as indicated on the module descriptors, once adapted should normally be used for a period of two years.
If it is necessary to change the Text for a module prior to the required period of use, the module tutor must document this with written approval from the Dean before submitting it to the Librarian for the last semester it was used.
Library staff serves as a point of contact for faculty to help on questions and related issues about requests, collections, tutorial sessions etc.
The following assigned staffs provide assistance on any library related matter. Please direct your issues and concerns to them.
Faculty of Education and Business
Simia Kumar, Assistant Librarian
Faculty of Engineering and Informatics
Carolina Dionisio, Library Assistant
For assistance related on any library matter, please contact the University Librarian:
Marisol S Leonen
"This library offers such a quiet and supportive environment that helps ideas come out in a smooth manner", Dhuha, MSc Finance & Banking Student
"Thanks a lot! You are very cooperative and friendly. Please continue doing so!", Ahmed Al Rahl, Doctor of Education
"This growing library is the soul of our university. It brightens our thoughts day after day", Ahmed Othman, Doctor of Education
"Our library is the best one I've ever seen. It is always quiet and whenever you need help, there is someone next to you. Thanks for all efforts", Tareq Ahmed, MSc Informatics
"Thanks a lot for the assistance we are receiving from the library staff", Babiker, MSc CLDR
"Hats off to all library staff", Osman, MSc CLDR