Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
SDBE 508 Sustainable Urban Design
Department: MSc Sustainable Design in the Built Environment
Module Description: The module aims to address and discuss the critical issue of our Urban Environment and the need not only to speak to the attention that needs to be paid to the fragility of the planet and its resources, but also our Urban Environments which are places that we present a large part of our political, social, cultural, technical and creative achievements and inspirations. Democracy and Democratic values within this context are not abstract concepts, but are situated relational conditions that are deeply embedded within the physical space of our every day actions, our homes, our places of work and our spaces of social and public gathering. The module tries to contribute into providing the ground for new forms of spatial democracy. These are structurally organized as a series of speculations within the lecture topics and assignments given, and are indispensible components of the development of future cities, which therefore is intended to be projective in character.
- Cuthbert, A. R. (2011). Understanding cities: methods in urban design. Oxon: Routledge.
- Farrelly, L. (2011). Drawing for urban design. London: Laurence King Publishing.
- Gartland, L. (2008). Heat islands: understanding and mitigating heat in urban areas. London: Earthscan.
- Gindroz, R. et. al (2013). The urban design handbook: techniques and working methods. 2nd edn. New York: W.W.Norton & Company.
- Girardet, H. (2008). Cities people planet: urban development and climate change. 2nd edn. Chichester: John Wiley & Sons.
- Givoni, B. (1998). Climate considerations in building and urban design. New York: John Wiley & Sons.
- Kasprisim, R. (2020). Urban design: the composition of complexity. 2nd edn. New York: Routledge.
- Kostof, S. (2004). The city shaped. New York: Bulfinch Press.
- Moughtin, C. & Shirley, P. (2005). Urban design: green dimensions. 2nd edn. Amsterdam: Architectural Press.
- Portney, K.E. (2013). Taking sustainable cities seriously: economic development, the environment and quality of life in American cities. 2nd edn. Cambridge: The MIT Press.
- Ritchie, A. & Thomas, R. (ed.). (2009). Sustainable urban design: an environmental approach. 2nd edn. London: Taylor & Francis.
- Roaf, S., Crichton, D. & Nicol, F. (2009). Adapting buildings and cities for climate change: a 21st century survival guide. 2nd edn. Amsterdam: Architectural Press.
- Wheeler, S.M. & Beatley, T. (ed.). (2014). The sustainable urban development reader. 3rd edn. London: Routledge.
- Yannas, S. (2000). Toward more sustainable cities. Solar Energy Journal, vol. 70(3), pp. 281-294. Request this item
- Yeang, K. (2009). Ecomaster planning. Chichester: John Wiley & Sons.