Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
SEEM 501 Advanced Engineering Materials
Department: MSc Structural Engineering
Module Description: This module will enable students to gain knowledge and understanding on a wide range of high performance engineering materials. It will provide scientific and practical information on the selected materials. The module covers materials, including concrete, steel, fiber reinforced cement, fiber reinforced plastics, polymeric materials, geosynthetics, masonry materials and coatings. It discusses the scientific bases for the manufacture and use of these high performance materials. Testing and application examples are also included.
Each chapter of the suggested module core text contains a comprehensive list of references for further readings.
- Adam, J. P. & Batsford, B. T. (1994). Roman building: materials and techniques. London.
- Ali, M. M. (2001). Evolution of concrete skyscrapers: from ingalls to jinmao. Electronic Journal of Structural Engineering, vol. 1(1), pp. 2-14. Open resource
- Ashby, M. F. & Jones D.R.H. (2012). Engineering materials 1: an introduction to properties, applications and design. 4th edn. Amsterdam: Elsevier.
- Bridger, R., Patrick, M. & Webb, J. (1997). High strength materials in composite construction, International Conference on Composite constructive – conventional and innovative, September 16-18. pp. 29-40. Open resource
- Hoffmeister, B., Sedlacek, G., Muller, C. & Kuhn, B. (2002). High strength materials in composite structures, composite construction in steel and concrete IV 2002. American Society of Civil Engineers, Feb 25. Request this item
- Mehta, P. K. & Monteiro, P. J. M. (2013). Concrete: microstructure, properties and materials. 4th edn. McGraw Hill Professional.
- Moore, J. A. (1999). High-performance concrete for bridge decks. Concrete International, vol. 21(2), pp. 58-68. Request this item
- Naaman, A. E. (1998). New fiber technology: cement, ceramic and polymeric composites. Concrete International, Vol. 20(11). Request this item