Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
ENG 101 English learning and communication skills
Department: UG - General Education
Module Description: This module is intended for non-native English speaking high school graduates who wish to join an undergraduate programme where the medium of instruction is English, and who have an English Language Level of TOEFL 500 or IELTS 5. This module also consolidates previous language learning and through a critical thinking framework prepares students for academic life. Taking into account individual needs, this programme aims to homogenise standards of achievement.
Critical thinking is a fundamental component of academic life. It is an essential skill when reading academic texts, and writing essays and reports, or taking part in lectures, seminars and debates.
- Burgmeier, A. (2009). Inside reading: the academic wordlist in context. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Campbell, C. and Smith, J. (2009). English for academic study: listening, course book. Reading, U.K.: Garnet Publishing.
- Jordon, R.R. (1999). Academic writing course: study skills in English. 3rd edn. Essex: Longman.
- McCarthy, M. and O’Dell, F. (2016). Academic vocabulary in use. 2nd edn. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- O’Dell, D. and Head, K. (2003). Games for vocabulary practice. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Oshima, A. and Hogue, A. (2016). Academic writing. 5th edn. New York: Pearson Education.
- Philpot, S. (2006). New headway academic skills: reading, writing, and study skills, student’s book. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Redman, S., Ellis, K. and Viney, B. (1997). A way with words: resource pack 1, vocabulary activities for lower intermediate to intermediate learners. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Shon, P. C. (2017). The quick fix guide to academic writing : how to avoid big mistakes and small errors. Los Angeles: SAGE.
- Slaght, J. and Harben, P. (2009). English for academic study: reading, course book. Reading, U.K.: Garnet Publishing.
- Waters, M. and Waters, A. (1995). Study skills in English: student’s book. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.