Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
LAW 102 Principles of commercial law
Department: Bachelor of Law
Module Description: This module aims to introduce students to principles of commercial law and familiarize them with the framework and mechanisms of commercial law and provide them with knowledge of the main principles of commercial law. The modules covers the legal framework of commercial law and the application of fundamental principles to business transactions in the domestic and international sphere, including the nature and sources of commercial law; sale of goods (the English Sale of Goods Act 1979 and Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982); implied conditions in sale of goods; passage of property and risk in goods; international trade and sales (relevance of standard trade terms in international contracts e.g. CIF, FOB and INCOTERMS); the role of the United Nations Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods 1980 (CISG); law of agency (authority of an agent, duties of an agent etc); UAE Commercial Agencies Law No. 18 of 1981; the UAE Civil Transactions Code and Commercial Transactions Law; Conditional Sale and Hire purchase.
- D. Saidov (ed) Research Handbook on International and Comparative Sale of Goods Law Edward Elgar, 2019)
- Dawoud Sudqi El Alami and Katherine El Alami, The Commercial Code of the United Arab Emirates: Federal Law No. 19 1993, the Law of Commercial Transactions (Lexgulf Publishers Ltd, 2011)
- R. Goode & E. McKendrick (eds) Goode on Commercial Law 5th ed. (Penguin, 2017)
- Mark J. Loewenstein & R. W. Hillman (eds), Agency and Partnership Law (Edward Elgar, 2018)
- M. Davies & D.V. Snyder, International Transactions in Goods: Global Sales in Comparative Context (Oxford University Press, 2014)
- F. Ferrari & C. P. Gillette (eds), International Sales Law (Edward Elgar, 2017)
- Bryan Cave, Business Laws of the Middle East: The United Arab Emirates (Kluwer Law International, 1999)