Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
LAW 201 Constitutional Law
Department: Bachelor of Law
Module Description: This module aims to introduce students to constitutional processes by which the relationship between the individual and the state, and the relationship between the organs of the state are regulated. The module covers, types of constitutions, essence of constitutions, sources of constitutional rules, the place of constitutional Law in the legal system, conceptions of the State, constitution-making as a Process, systems of government (presidentialism, parliamentarism etc), the rule of law, the separation of powers, checks and balances, Citizenship.
The module coordinator will provide students with mandatory texts on UAE Law, prepared purposefully for this particular module.
- Von Bogdandy, Armin, and Jrgen Bast, Principles of European Constitutional Law (2nd ed., Hart Pub, 2009). Purchase eBook
- Tushnet, Mark, et al., Routledge Handbook of Constitutional Law (Taylor and Francis, 2013). Purchase eBook
- Amar, Vikram, and Mark V Tushnet, Global Perspectives on Constitutional Law (Oxford University Press, 2009). Purchase eBook
- Saunders, Kevin Wall, and Michael Anthony Lawrence, Constitutional Law : Model Problems and Outstanding Answers (Oxford University Press, 2013). Purchase eBook
- Franke Herd-Bey, From Trucial States to United Arab Emirates (Penguin Books Ltd, 2005)
- Nathan J. Brown, The Rule of Law in the Arab World: Courts in Egypt and the Gulf (Cambridge University Press, 1997)
- Laurence Tribe, American Constitutional Law (Foundation Press, 2000)
- Michael Rosenfeld and Andras Sajo (eds), The Oxford Handbook of Comparative Constitutional Law (Oxford University Press, 2013)
- Robert Schutze, European Constitutional Law 3rd ed. (Cambridge University Press, 2021)
- Gregory Maggs and Peter Smith, Constitutional Law: Contemporary Approach 5th ed. (West Academic Publishing, 2021)
- Jeffrey Jowell and Colm O'Cinneide, The Changing Constitution (Oxford University Press, 9th Revised edition, 2019)
- Michael C. Dorf and Trevor W. Morrison, The Oxford Introductions to U.S. Law: Constitutional Law (Oxford University Press, 2010)