Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
MGT 519 Accounting and Finance for Managers
Department: Master of Business Administration
Module Description: This module will enable students to gain an advanced knowledge and deep understanding of accounting and financial aspects that are expected to be acquired by a manager working for a modern organization. Students will, applying different analytical tools, learn to identify the relevant information for better decision making to the advantage of the organization. The topics include cost concepts, cost-volume profit relationships and cost information for decision making, analysing and interpreting financial statements applying ratio analysis. It also includes important areas of management accounting useful for decision making purposes which includes preparation of cash flow, funds flow statements and budgets. Financial accounting covers external as well as accounting to be prepared by organisations. The finance component of this module aims at developing a clear understanding of the fundamental and advanced concepts of corporate finance and their relationship with the theory and practice of corporate investments through the examination of real-life case studies and contemporary examples which helps decision-making. It, therefore, discusses and compares investment appraisal techniques, risk & return and examines the relation of finance theory to corporate policy issues such as cost of capital & capital structure, debt policy & leverage and capital budgeting, dividend policy and mergers and acquisitions.
- Atkinson, A. A., Kaplan, R. S., Matsumura, E. M. and Young, S. M. (2012). Management accounting: information for decision-making and strategy execution. 6th edn. Pearson Education.
- Collier, P. M. (2015). Accounting for managers: interpreting accounting information for decision-making. 5th edn. Wiley.
- Libby, R., Libby, P. and Short, D. (2017). Financial accounting. 9th edn. McGraw-Hill.
- Ross, S. A., Westerfield, R. W. and Jaffe, J. (2019). Corporate finance. 12th edn. McGraw- Hill.
- Bhimani, A., Horngren, C.T. and Datar, S.M. (2015). Management and cost accounting. 6th edn. Prentice-Hall.
- Lambert, R. A. (2012). Financial literacy for managers: finance and accounting for better decision-making. 2nd edn. Wharton Digital Press.
- MacQueen, M. (2010). Accounting for managers. iUniverse.
- Noreen, E., Brewer, B. and Garrison, R. (2017). Managerial accounting for managers. 4th edn. McGraw-Hill/Irwin.