Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
BSE 505 Research Project in The Building Services Engineering
Department: MSc Building Services Engineering
Module Description: In this module the student will undertake a short research project. The student will focus on applying the knowledge learnt the projects submitted in the previous modules. This project could be an extension to one or more projects submitted in previous modules. Either way the student will reflect on all his research activities in the previous modules and try to incorporate in this project including critical review of previous outcomes to be used to prepare a proposal for new research project. The student will focus on applying the knowledge learnt in several modules to analyse, revise, improve and assess a relevant topic. This could include topics on building services engineering such as, HVAC Systems, BMS or any other relevant building services engineering topic as long as it is approved by the module tutor. The student will produce an industry type report, including an executive summary and a detailed report, plus give a presentation explaining and defending the steps undertaken during the project. The jury for the presentation will include one or more jurors from the relevant industry who will take part in the assessment of the presentation as well. This module will run over two consecutive terms in order to give the student enough time to properly research, document, propose and assess their selected topic of the project.
- Booth, W., Colomb, G. and Williams, J. (2016). The craft of research. 4th edn. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press.
- Gomm, R., Hammersley, M. and Foster, P. (2000). Case study methods: key issues, key texts. London: SAGE Publications.
- Groat, L. and Wang, D. (2013). Architectural research methods. 2nd edn. New York: John Wiley.
- Sharp, J. and Howard, K. (2017). The management of a student research project. 3rd edn. Aldershot: Gower.
- Turabian, K. (2018). A manual for writers of research papers, theses and dissertations. 9th edn. University of Chicago Press.