Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
CDR 510 Arbitration Law
Department: Master of Construction Law and Dispute Resolutions
Module Description: This module aims to provide a solid foundation in the different aspects of arbitration, with a specific focus on international commercial arbitration as it applies to construction, including issues which are specific to Dubai, the UAE and the wider Gulf Region.
- A H El-Ahdab, J El-Ahdab, Arbitration with the Arab Countries (3rd edn, Wolters Kluwer, Alphen aan den Rijn 2011).
- E Al-Tamimi, Practical Guide to Litigation and Arbitration in the United Arab Emirates (Kluwer Law International, Netherlands 2003).
- G. Blanke, Commentary on the UAE Arbitration Chapter (Thomson Reuters, 2017).
- H. Arab, L. Hammoud & G. Lovett (Editors), Summaries of UAE Courts’ Decisions on Arbitration (2nd edn, International Chamber of Commerce, 2017).
- N Blackaby and C Partasides, Redfern and Hunter on International Arbitration (6th edn, Oxford University Press, New York 2015).
- J Jenkins and S Stebbings, International Construction Arbitration Law (2nd rev. edn, Kluwer Law International, Netherlands 2013).
- P Capper, International Arbitration: A Handbook (3rd edn, LLP, London 2004).
- M Ismail and R A Koura, International Construction Contracts Arbitration in the MENA Region (Lambert, 2015).
- GB. Born, International Arbitration: Law and Practice (2nd edn.,Kluwer Law International, 2015).
Key indicative readings
- A Tweeddale, Arbitration of Commercial Disputes: International and English Law and Practice (Oxford University Press, Oxford 2007).
- O Alhyari, Challenging Arbitral Awards under the Model Law and Arab and English laws based thereon (VDM Verlag Dr. Müller Aktiengesellschaft & Co. KG, Germany 2009). Request PDF
- O Alhyari, Challenging an Arbitral Award on Jurisdiction under UAE Law”, P. 5, May 2015 Newsletter of the German Middle East Lawyers Association (GERMELA). Open resource
- O Alhyari, Does the Court under article 216 of the UAE Civil Procedures Law have the right to consider the validity of conversion of a sole establishment to an LLC company? December 2016, Lexis Middle East Law Alert. Request PDF
- S Saleh, Commercial Arbitration in the Arab Middle East (2nd edn, Hart Publishing, Oxford 2006).
- J A Crook, What is Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR)? (Chartered Institute of Arbitrators 2010).
- J A Tackaberry and A Marriott, Bernstein’s Handbook of Arbitration and Dispute Resolution Practice (4th edn, Sweet & Maxwell, London 2003, particularly Parts 2, 4, 5-7 and 9)
- A Perrochet and J Acret, Construction Arbitration Handbook (Clark Boardman Callaghan, 2015).
- S O Cheung (ed), Construction Dispute Research: Conceptualisation, Avoidance and Resolution (Springer, 2016).
- G B Born, International Arbitration: Cases and Materials (2nd edn, Aspen Publishers; null edition, 2015).
- A Elattar, Enforcement of International Arbitration Awards: A Comparative Study between Egypt, USA and the Gulf Cooperation Council (LAP LAMBERT Academic Publishing, 2013).