Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
LAW 604 Intellectual Property Law
Department: PhD in Business Law
Module Description: This module is designed to provide advanced knowledge and higher level understanding of the law and practice relating to intellectual property rights. Intellectual property plays a vital role in the global economy. However, as the scope of protection expands to cover new subject matters, the protection of intellectual property also raises serious ethical and societal value issues such as the propertisation of genes and other biotechnological products under patent law. Topics to be covered include: the international patent system – the Paris Convention and the World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO); comparative patent law systems; the patent provisions of the TRIPS Agreement, patents and access to medicine.
- Graham Durtfield & Uma Suthersanen, Global Intellectual Property Law (Edward Elgar Publishing Ltd, 2008)
- Jonathan Galloway et al, Modern Intellectual Property Law, 3rd ed. (2010)
- Deborah E. Bouchoux, Intellectual Property: The Law of Trademarks, Copyrights, Patents, and Trade Secrets 5th Ed. (Cengage Learning; 5th ed, 2017)
- Lydia P. Loren & Joseph S. Miller, Intellectual Property Law: Cases and Materials, 6th ed. (Semaphore Press, 2018)
- Peter S. Menell, Mark A. Lemley & Robert P. Merges, Intellectual Property Statutes 2018 (Clause 8 Publishing, 2018)
Key indicative readings
- Daniel Gervais ed., Intellectual Property, Trade and Development – Strategies to Optimize Economic Development in a TRIPS-Plus Era (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2007).
- Peter S. Menell, Mark A. Lemley & Robert P. Merges, Intellectual Property in the New Technological Age 2018: Vol. 1 Perspective (Clause 8 Publishing, 2018)
- Peter S. Menell, Mark A. Lemley & Robert P. Merges, Intellectual Property in the New Technological Age 2018: Vol. 11 Perspective (Clause 8 Publishing, 2018)
- William Cornish, Intellectual Property: Patents, Copyrights, Trademarks & Allied Rights (Sweet & Maxwell; 7th Revised edition, 2010)
- Sam Ricketson, The Paris Convention for the Protection of Industrial Property: A Commentary (Oxford University Press, 2015)
- Jonathan D. C. Turne, Intellectual Property and EU Competition Law (2015)
- Russell L. Parr, Intellectual Property: Valuation, Exploitation and Infringment Damages, 5th ed. (Wiley, 2018)
- Philippe Cullet, Intellectual Property Protection and Sustainable Development (New Delhi: Butterworths/Lexis-Nexis, 2005).
- Christopher May ed., The Political Economy of Intellectual Property Rights (Cheltenham: Elgar, 2010).
- Tzen Wong & Graham Dutfield eds, Intellectual Property and Human Development – Current Trends and Future Scenarios (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2011).
- Ricketson and Ginsburg, International Copyright and Neighbouring Rights: The Berne Convention and Beyond, 2nd ed. (OUP, 2005)
- Charles Lawson & Berris Charnley, Intellectual Property and Genetically Modified Organisms (Ashgate; New edition edition, 2015)
- Edson Beas Rodrigues Jr, The General Exception Clauses of the Trips Agreement (Cambridge University Press, 2015)
- Susy Frankel & Daniel Gervais (eds), The Evolution and Equilibrium of Copyright in the Digital Age (Cambridge University Press, 2014)
- Stephen Johnson, Guide to Intellectual Property: What it is, how to protect it, how to exploit it (The Economist, 2015)
- Kurt Saunders, Intellectual Property: Legal Aspects of Innovation and Competition, 1st ed. (West Academic Publishing, 2016)
- Ned Snow, Intellectual Property: A Survey of the Law (Carolina Academic Press, 2017)