Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
SEEM 524 Advanced Steel Design
Department: MSc Structural Engineering
Module Description: This module will enable students to gain in depth knowledge and provides comprehensive scientific information on analysis and design of structural steel members and systems. It includes complete design examples for members and connections. Also, students will be introduced to seismic analysis and seismic design of steel structures.
- Salmon, C. & Johnson, J. (1980). Steel structures: design and behaviour. New York: Harper & Row. Request PDF
- Engelkirk, R. (1995). Steel structures: controlling behavior through design. Prentice Hall.
- Trahair, N. (2008). The behaviour and design of steel structures to ec3. 4th edn. London: Taylor & Francis.
- Galambos, T. & Surovek, A. (2008). Structural stability of steel: concepts and applications for structural engineers. Hoboken, N.J.: John Wiley & Sons.
- Brockenbrough, R. L. and Merritt, F. S. (2011). Structural steel designer's handbook. 5th edn. McGraw-Hill.
- American Institute of Steel Construction (AISC). (2010). Prequalified connections for special and intermediate steel moment frames for seismic applications, ansi/aisc 358-10. Chicago, IL: AISC. Request PDF
- Cochran, M. and Honeck, W. C. (2004). Design of special concentric braced frames. Moraga, CA: Structural Steel Educational Council. Open access
- Becker, R. and Ishler, M. (1996). Seismic design practice for eccentrically braced frames. Moraga, CA: Structural Steel Educational Council. Request PDF
- American Institute of Steel Construction (AISC). (2010). Specification for structural steel buildings (AISC 360-10). Chicago, IL: American Institute of Steel Construction. Request PDF
- American Institute of Steel Construction (AISC). (2010). Seismic provisions for structural steel buildings (AISC 341-10). Chicago, IL: American Institute of Steel Construction. Request PDF
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE). (2010). Minimum design loads for buildings and other structures (ASCE 7-10). Reston, VA: American Institute of Steel Construction. Request PDF