Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
SEEM 535 Advanced Engineering Materials
Department: MSc Structural Engineering
Module Description: This module will enable students to gain in depth knowledge and provide comprehensive scientific information on advanced concepts in reinforced concrete design, analysis and design of prestressed concrete, and advanced structural steel systems. It will cover the design of deep beams as well as a comprehensive design of a prestressed concrete girder along with the lossess calculation. It also includes complete design examples for structural steel members and connections. The students will also gain knowledge about the composite materials and the related design concepts.
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE). (2010). Minimum design loads for buildings and other structures, (ASCE 7-10), Reston, VA: AISC. Open resource
- American Institute of Steel Construction (AISC). (2010). Prequalified connections for special and intermediate steel moment frames for seismic applications (AISC 358-10). Chicago, IL: AISC. Request item
- American Institute of Steel Construction (AISC) (2010). Specification for structural steel buildings (AISC 360-10), Chicago, IL: AISC. Open resource
- Becker, R. and Ishler, M. (1996). Seismic design practice for eccentrically braced frames. Moraga, CA: Structural Steel Educational Council. Request item
- Brockenbrough, R. L. and Merritt, F. S. (2011). Structural steel designer's handbook. 5th edn. New York: McGraw Hill.
- Galambos, T. V. and Surovek, A. E. (2008). Structural stability of steel : concepts and applications for structural engineers. Hoboken, N.J.: John Wiley & Sons.
- Gilbert, R. I., Mickleborough, N. C. and Ranzi, G. (2016). Design of prestressed concrete to as 3600-2009. 2nd edn. Boca Raton: CRC Press/Taylor & Francis Group.
- McCormac, J. C. and Csernak, S. F. (2012). Structural steel design. 5th ed. Boston, Mass.: Pearson.
- Mehta, P. K. and Monteiro, P. J. M. (2014). Concrete : microstructure, properties, and materials. 4th edn. New York: McGraw-Hill Education.
- Nawy, E. G. (2009). Reinforced concrete : a fundamental approach. 6th edn. Upper Saddle River, N.J.: Pearson Prentice Hall.